Polonnaruwa Day Tour
Polonnaruwa Day Tour. Explore the ancient wonders of Polonnaruwa with our captivating day tour. Discover historic ruins, temples, and more.
At a Glance
Polonnaruwa – UNESCO World Heritage site
Polonnaruwa, once known as Pulathisipura and Vijayarajapura, is a historic city in Sri Lanka’s North Central Province. The modern town of Polonnaruwa, also called New Town, is located alongside the ancient royal city of the Kingdom of Polonnaruwa. This city has a rich history, established as a military post and later renamed by the Chola dynasty after their invasion in the 10th century. Today, it stands as a World Heritage Site, showcasing the greatness of its past rulers and their architectural marvels.
This fascinating city boasts a blend of cultures, with Indian Hindu and Sinhalese Buddhist influences. UNESCO has recognized Polonnaruwa as a World Heritage site, drawing tourists from all over the world to explore its well-preserved ruins, impressive temples, stupas, and more. Some of the must-visit sites include the magnificent Rankot Vihara stupa, the unique Gal Vihara rock shrine with its Buddha statues, and the intricately carved Sandakada Pahana, also known as the Moonstone. Visitors can also marvel at the serene Lotus Pond, witness the grandeur of Parakrama Samudraya – a man-made lake from the 11th century, and study ancient irrigation systems that demonstrate the innovative techniques used by the early rulers of Polonnaruwa.
Engage in an educational journey through time by exploring the ancient city’s remarkable relics and structures. From the impressive Parakramabahu Statue to the Nissanka Latha Mandapaya, each site tells a story of the city’s historical prominence and its cultural significance. Discover Polonnaruwa’s unique charm, its magnificent ruins, and the insights it offers into the fascinating history of Sri Lanka.
If you’re a history enthusiast, archaeology lover, or simply curious about ancient civilizations, Polonnaruwa promises an unforgettable experience that will transport you back in time and leave you in awe of the ingenuity and splendor of this once-mighty kingdom.
Places to Visit
- Ruins of Royal Palace of King Parakramabahu
- Rankoth Vehera (Stupa) (Golden Pinnacle)
- Archaeological Museum, Polonnaruwa
- Kiri Vehera (Stupa)
- Polonnaruwa Vatadage (Circular Relic Chamber)
- Nissanka Latha Mandapaya
- Gal Vihara
- Sandakada Pahana (Moonstone)
- Lotus Pond
- Parakrama Samudraya
- Parakramabahu Statue
- Study of Ancient Irrigation Management
Sri Lankan Culinary Delights
Sri Lankan cuisine revolves around rice, with the national meal being “rice and curry.” This consists of rice accompanied by a variety of meat and/or vegetable curries, sambols, pickles, and poppadums. More than 15 types of rice are cultivated in Sri Lanka, adding diversity to meals. The island’s hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants elevate the rice and curry experience, offering an array of side dishes. These encompass spiced meat and fish curries, alongside flavorful servings of vegetables, pineapple, and more. Sambols, akin to Indian pickles, add an extra kick to meals, with various levels of spiciness to suit different tastes.
- Begin the journey in the early morning.
- Enjoy snacks along the way and continue to Polonnaruwa UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Explore the ancient city of Polonnaruwa.
- savor a traditional Rice & Curry meal.
- Return to the hotel for an overnight stay.
- English-speaking guide (or guide in specific language upon client request)
- Comfortable air-conditioned transportation
- 2 × 500ml water bottles per person
- Authentic Sri Lankan fruit tasting experience
- Entrance tickets
- Lunch or any meals
Please be aware that these tours are currently primarily available for departure and return from Colombo and Negombo only. If you are located in other areas, kindly inform our operators during your conversation.
- The listed price on Google is for each person sharing the tour with another participant.
- Each tour requires a minimum of 2 participants to proceed.
- The rates on Google are based on tours starting and ending in Colombo city.
- If the starting and ending points differ, the price may vary accordingly.
Inclusions and Exclusions:
- Make sure to thoroughly read about what is included and excluded in each tour package. This will help you have a clear understanding of what to expect during your adventure.
How to book this tour ?
You can get in touch with one of our operators through WhatsApp or by filling out the ‘Contact Us’ form by clicking the buttons below.