Anuradhapura Day Tour
Anuradhapura Day Tour . Explore the ancient wonders. Discover rich history, temples, and ruins in this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
At a Glance
Anuradhapura – UNESCO World Heritage Site
Discover the captivating history of Anuradhapura, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Sri Lanka’s North Central Province. Nestled along the Malwathu Oya River, this ancient city is renowned for its well-preserved ruins that offer a glimpse into the rich past of the Sinhalese civilization. With a history dating back to 437 BCE, Anuradhapura holds the distinction of being one of Asia’s oldest continuously inhabited cities, boasting a legacy of nearly three millennia.
Anuradhapura was a center of both Theravada Buddhism and the Hydraulic Sinhalese civilization, serving as the ancient capital of Sri Lanka for 1,500 years. Its significance is deeply intertwined with Buddhism’s journey, housing ancient temples and relics like the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi, believed to be a branch of the sacred fig tree where Buddha attained enlightenment. This city sprawls across 100 square kilometers, encompassing a vast network of temples and monasteries, making it a treasure trove of historical marvels.
The revival of Anuradhapura began in the 1870s after the city’s decline following the Chola invasion in 993 CE. Today’s bustling city, shaped by British colonial influence and relocated to protect its historical sites, serves as a hub for northern Sri Lanka’s transportation and tourism. The city’s archaeology and tourism play a pivotal role in its economy, as visitors from around the world come to witness the grandeur of its ancient ruins.
Anuradhapura’s historical prominence spans centuries, from being the capital during King Pandukhabaya’s reign in the 4th century BC to the construction of iconic landmarks such as the Jethawanaramaya stupa during King Mahasena’s time in the 3rd century. Embark on an Anuradhapura day tour to explore significant sites like the ancient Bodhi tree, Brazon palace, Ruwanweli stupa, Twins pond, Samdhi Buddha statue, Abhayagiri stupa, and more. These sites provide a window into the past and should be respected as sacred places of worship.
Places to Visit
- Bodhi tree (oldest tree in the world)
- Brazon palace
- Ruwanweli stupa
- Jethawanaramaya stupa
- Twins pond
- Samadhi Buddha statue
- Abhayagiri stupa
- Elephant pond
- Thuparama stupa
- Isurumuniya temple
Sri Lankan Culinary Delights
Sri Lankan cuisine revolves around rice, with the national meal being “rice and curry.” This consists of rice accompanied by a variety of meat and/or vegetable curries, sambols, pickles, and poppadums. More than 15 types of rice are cultivated in Sri Lanka, adding diversity to meals. The island’s hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants elevate the rice and curry experience, offering an array of side dishes. These encompass spiced meat and fish curries, alongside flavorful servings of vegetables, pineapple, and more. Sambols, akin to Indian pickles, add an extra kick to meals, with various levels of spiciness to suit different tastes.
- Begin the journey early in the morning.
- Enjoy snacks along the way and head to Anuradhapura Historical Site.
- Explore the ancient city of Anuradhapura.
- Experience a traditional Rice & Curry meal.
- Return to the hotel for an overnight stay.
- English-speaking guide (or guide in specific language upon client request)
- Comfortable air-conditioned transportation
- 2 × 500ml water bottles per person
- Authentic Sri Lankan fruit tasting experience
- Entrance tickets
- Lunch or any meals
Please be aware that these tours are currently primarily available for departure and return from Colombo and Negombo only. If you are located in other areas, kindly inform our operators during your conversation.
- The listed price on Google is for each person sharing the tour with another participant.
- Each tour requires a minimum of 2 participants to proceed.
- The rates on Google are based on tours starting and ending in Colombo city.
- If the starting and ending points differ, the price may vary accordingly.
Inclusions and Exclusions:
- Make sure to thoroughly read about what is included and excluded in each tour package. This will help you have a clear understanding of what to expect during your adventure.
How to book this tour ?
You can get in touch with one of our operators through WhatsApp or by filling out the ‘Contact Us’ form by clicking the buttons below.